Sunday, March 25, 2007

Post-MBA Trauma

I've just finished my Rogerian assignment for PIM. We had to find someone not too close, and conduct a 30 minute-interview on something on his/her mind, using a Rogerian approach.

I chose an LBS MBA Grad, whom I met while preparing for the Gmat. He had given me great advice on essays, GMAT prep etc. (which I would be happy to share, should you need to, just email).
The guy graduated in Sept. 06. He is still looking for a job -by choice-, after dropping his job 1 year and a half ago, and was talking about how he valued personal interaction, emotionally intelligent people, sensitiveness in workplace etc. I was trying to respond Rogerian way: "Hu-uh", "I see", "So you feel that X companies are more sensitive to your feelings than Y companies". So tough to restrain myself, when I meant -ready to shout: "Buddy, move on, the MBA is over. It was an ideal world where everybody was great". I feel that if I write this in the paper, I'll fail the grade...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you suppose the LBS grad still hasn't found a job? As an INSEAD admitted class of 2008 MBA, I find it hard to reconcile the Wall Street Journal rosy version of 3 job offers for every MBA vs. the [20-30%](????) unemployment rate of INSEAD grads at the end of the program. What am I missing here?
-MDS

 
At 10:58 PM , Blogger DomoDomo@INSEAD said...

Oops. I'm not supposed to reveal details of the interview, but it's anonymous enough. The LBS grad has not got a job -he told me- not because he cannot, but because he has decided that he wanted his dream job. That's the point about the interview -it seems that he has thought very deeply about his conception of people relationships, and thus, finds it difficult to get the job that makes him happy. As to INSEAD, it's slightly different. Not only grads are choosey, but also they take time to look for a job after the MBA (which is too short to do everything). It is true that they get a lot of offers. But one of the points of the MBA is to have a fresh start, and go for your dream!

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Stuart said...

Hi!
I'm an INSEAD Aspirant from India on the verge of submitting my application for the Jan'08 R1 deadline (28 March 07) and i want ur inputs on my essays.
I'm willing to call u up in case u prefer to talk on the phone
Regards,
Manish
skype:manish_marwaha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home